30 THINGS TO SEE AND DO IN ANDALUCIA
Visitors will find a wide range of interesting things to see and do in Andalucia. It is one of the autonomous communities of Spain that attracts domestic and foreign tourists the most. Andalucia’s natural wealth, environmental diversity, and the welcoming and friendly manners of its inhabitants are all part of the magical elixir that makes this community the favorite destination for people from all over the globe.
Here is a list of 30 things to see and do in Andalucia. These are proposals to taste and enjoy the magical properties of the unique elixir that Andalucia offers.
1. Experience first-hand the Carnival of Cadiz
Put together a chirigota ilegal (a typical parade) with a group of friends and go for tapas in Tacita de Plata, while singing couplets. Tell funny stories based on the characters and news of the year that called your attention the most.
2. Turn into a bird by engaging in paragliding, hand gliding or riding a hot-air balloon
Surf the Andalucia’s skies and gaze upon the natural beauty of this unique land. In Vejer de la Frontera, one Andalucia’s most beautiful towns, you can go paragliding from the runway of Restaurante El Poniente.
3.Go to Jerez de la Frontera
And, when passing near the Neighbourhood of San Miguel, feel like “La Faraona”, the one and only Lola Flores. Be inspired by the neighbourhood that witnessed her birth.
4. Go wine tasting, without getting drunk, and try best wines from Jerez in any of its most emblematic cellars
Let the beauty of the city get you drunk.
5. Become Guzmán el Bueno in his tower in Conil de la Frontera
Take the chance to try the world’s best tuna, the exquisite and exclusive Bluefin tuna from Almadraba.
6. Enjoy with your five senses any of the culinary creations of the Michelin star chefs in Andalucia
For example, Ángel León in his Restaurante Aponiente in Puerto de Santa María or Xanty Elías in his Restaurante Acanthum in Huelva.
7. Become a rociero
Even for just a few hours, in the pilgrimage to the sanctuary of the Virgin of El Rocio.
8. Lick your fingers, in Huelva
After tasting the best white shrimp of the entire world and the best black labelled Iberian ham.
9. Feel like Christopher Columbus during his first trip to the Indies
Visit the Museum of Muelle de las Carabelas de Palos de la Frontera. See the reproductions of his ships, Pinta, Niña and Santa María.
10.Imagine you are in the red planet
Contemplating the Martian landscape of Río Tinto.
11. Pass by Caminito del Rey, as if you were King Alfonso XIII of Spain
Take care of your crown and sceptre. Keep in mind this is a narrow road over a cliff. A gorge carved by the Guadalhorce River, which is 700-meter deep.
12. Become a romantic traveller of the nineteenth century
Visit one of their favorite destinations, Ronda. Get inspired by Rilke and write a poem while contemplating the beauty of this Andalucian city.
13. Step on the sand of Plaza de Toros de Ronda (Ronda Bull Ring), as if you were a famous bullfighter
Imagine it is September, when the Goyasque Bullfight takes place, while taking the tour of the Bullring.
14. Pretend you are part of Marbella’s Jet Set
Let yourself be looked at, flattered, and taken care of in any of the luxurious beach clubs in Marbella. Go to Puerto Banús and buy something in any of its amazing stores.
15. Feel and admire the work of the great Picasso
Go to Malaga and visit the route of Picasso. You will see the place where he was born and some of his work in the Picasso Museum of Malaga.
16. Reminisce your childhood in Nerja
Gaze upon the mythical Barco de Chanquete from the famous T.V. show Verano Azul.
17. Go to prehistoric times
Visit one of the oldest caves in Andalucia. Contemplate the cave-paintings, in caves such as La Pileta, located in the province of Malaga.
18.Climb to the top of what was once considered the most impenetrable fortress of the Iberian Peninsula
The Castle of Gibralfaro. From this castle, contemplate Malaga’s Bay, its port full of cruises and its emblematic Farola (which is not a lighthouse).
19. Let fire and water purify any physical or psychological problem
During Saint John’s Eve in Almuñécar. Perform the typical rituals of this celebration to bring yourself beauty, good luck, and health.
2o. Imagine a Moor king or queen
Visit Alhambra de Granada as if you were one of them. Let the crowd look at you and admire your greatness, as they gather every day, at sunset, in Mirador de San Nicolás.
21. Be brave and climb the highest peak of the Iberian Peninsula
The Mulhacén, in Sierra Nevada. There was a time when people could go there on their vehicles, now, people can only walk or ride their bikes up there.
22. “Eat till you burst” for four euros
Drinking wine and beers in the bars and taverns in Granada.
23. Get lost in the towns of Alpujarra
Without wondering if you are in the province of Granada or in the province of Almería.
24. Visit the Tabernas Desert
Imagine you are Sergio Leone and you are filming a spaghetti western.
25. Look with alien’s eyes at the see of plastic of the greenhouses of Almería
Maybe that way you will find some beauty in them.
26. Pray in Cabo de Gata
To ask that the virginity of its beaches and the beauty of its landscapes be preserved. Look at the sky and ask the gods to maintain through the years the great Paradise you are contemplating.
27. Meet and look in the eyes of an authentic brunette woman from Córdoba
Try to find the resemblance with the women of Julio Romero de Torres and visit the museum of this famous artist from Córdoba.
28. Be amazed and horrified by looking at the Christian cathedral in the middle of the Mosque of Córdoba
It is part of the list of nonsense actions made by some kings on behalf of the gods (kings and gods without distinction of country or religion).
29. Enjoy the beauty of the patios in Córdoba
Without getting stressed by wondering how their beauty is maintained throughout the year.
30. Buy the typical flamenco doll souvenir from Andalucia
And put it in a shelf in your living room to give an Almodóvar touch to the decoration of your home your home.
WHERE TO STAY
If you wish to discover this unusual side of Andalucía, don’t hesitate to stay at the best hotels. Without a doubt, the best option is Fuerte Hoteles. The chain has facilities where, apart from the regular services, you can enjoy the best of each spot in the Andalucian geography. Its over 50 years’ experience is the best warranty so you can devote your time to discovering these unusual corners. Marbella, Conil, Grazalema, El Rompido, Estepona or Torrox are some of the places where you can find amazing accommodation facilities near the spots we have recommended for you.