A film under the stars: Don’t miss the most impressive outdoor cinemas in Andalucia
When it gets hot, leisure options change and multiply, and one of the favourite activities on both the Costa del Sol and the Costa de la Luz are so-called summer cinemas. When outdoor cinemas open their doors, they attract a large number of visitors. Summer cinemas in Andalusia are very popular and fun, and at some you can also have dinner and enjoy a new release. There are more cinemas on the beach every summer, so there is a lot to see and choose from. These are the best ones.
A beach cinema, Chiclana de la Frontera (Cádiz)
This year’s Summer Cinema programme is coming to Chiclana de la Frontera. Films will be shown until late August from 10.00 p.m. on a giant screen that is installed every Sunday on De La Barrosa Beach’s second enclosure. A unique ambience with the sea as a backdrop and a breeze caressing your face just when the sun goes down and the temperature is perfect for cooling down. Entry is free.
These are the films that will be shown:
- 15th July The Magnificent Seven
- 22nd July The Fate of the Furious
- 29th July Spider-Man
- 5th August Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul
- 12th August King Arthur: Legend of the Sword
- 19th August The Dark Tower
Cinema in Isla Canela, Ayamonte (Huelva)
Isla Canela is a neighbourhood of Ayamonte, Huelva and has a magnificent beach that in summer is turned into an improvised cinema. Locals and visitors can enjoy the seventh art open to all the public in an outdoor setting twice a week until August. Animation and action films make up this special programme that you cannot miss if you are visiting Huelva province. Fine sand for sitting or lying on to watch films that are the cherry on the cake of a day of family fun.
- Boss Baby, 5th July at Punta del Moral Beach
- Minions, 12th July at Punta del Moral Beach
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi, 17th July at Isla Canela Beach
- Ferdinand, 19th July at Punta del Moral Beach
- Despicable Me 3, 24th July at Isla Canela Beach
- Justice League, 26th July at Punta del Moral Beach
- La La Land, 31st July at Isla Canela Beach
- Spider-Man Homecoming, 2nd August at Punta del Moral Beach
- Beauty and the Beast, 7th August at Isla Canela Beach
- Jumanji: welcome to the Jungle, 9th August at Punta del Moral Beach
- Tad the Lost Explorer and the Secret of King Midas, 14th August at Isla Canela Beach
- Coco, 16th August at Punta del Moral Beach
- The Greatest showman, 21st August at Isla Canela Beach
- Champions, 23rd August at Punta de Moral Beach
- Murder on the Orient Express, 28th August at Isla Canela Beach
Open-Air Summer Cinema in Málaga
The capital of the Costa del Sol is once more the venue for the Open Summer Cinema programme. De la Malagueta, De la Misericordia and El Dedo (El Palo) Beaches, Cine Albéniz, Muelle Uno and Parque del Cine de Teatinos are some of the venues chosen to show films. If you are enjoying the Malagan coast this summer, be sure to come and see one of the numerous films of all genres that are on offer, many of which are in their original language. A fascinating project where you can choose the ambience you most like (beach, park or cinema), which will envelop you in Malaga’s cultural ambience that grows and gets better each day.
- Wednesday 1st – 11.00 p.m. Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children
- Thursday 2nd – 11.00 p.m. Captain Underpants
- Friday 3rd – 11.00 p.m. Boss Baby
- Monday 6th – 11.00 p.m. Ice Age: Collision Course
- Tuesday 7th – 11.00 p.m. The Secret Life of Pets
- Wednesday 8th – 11.00 p.m. Trolls
- Thursday 9th – 11.00 p.m. Kubo and the Two Strings
- Friday 10th – 11.00 p.m. Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children
San Miguel Park
- Thursday 9th – 22.15 p.m. Arrival
Esperanza Square. Lagunillas
- Wednesday 1st – 22.15 p.m. Kubo and the Two Strings
De La Malagueta Beach
- Friday 3rd – 22.15 p.m. Two is a Family
- Tuesday 7th – 22.15 p.m. Arrival
El Dedo Beach. El Palo
- Sunday 5th – 22.15 p.m. Inferno
Las Acacias Beach. Pedregalejo
- Wednesday 1st – 22.15 p.m. A Monster Calls
De La Alegría Park
- Wednesday 8th – 22.15 p.m. Lord, Give Me Patience
- Wednesday 8th – 22.15 p.m. Quo Vado?
De La Misericordia Beach
- Thursday 2nd – 22.15 p.m. Villaviciosa De Al Lado
- Saturday 4th – 22.15 p.m. The Bar
- Thursday 9th – 22.15 p.m. Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children
Russian Museum of Saint Petersburg Collection / Málaga. Tabacalera Square. Special Session
- Friday 3rd – 22.15 p.m. Smoke and Mirrors
- Sunday 5th – 22.15 p.m. Skins
- Tuesday 7th – 22.15 p.m. María (And Everybody Else)
De La Inmaculada Square
- Saturday 4th – 22.15 p.m. Arrival
Puerto De La Torre
Fairground Municipal Booth
- Thursday 2nd – 22.15 p.m. Inferno
Summer Cinema in Torremolinos (Málaga)
New film nights are coming to Torremolinos after successive successes gained in previous editions. De Playamar Beach, between the Copacabana and Los Bandoleros refreshment stalls, will be the site designated by Torremolinos Town Hall to show 12 films every Tuesday and Thursday during summer, that can be enjoyed for free in Spanish and with English subtitles to also attract tourists.
The first three will be shown on 19th, 24th and 26th July at 10.30 p.m. The rest (from 31st July to 14th August) will start at 10.00 p.m. We will be to enjoy films like La Land, Logan, Spider-Man: Homecoming and Planet of the Apes.
Summer Cinema at Starlite, Marbella
The Marbella summer cinema was organised this year in conjunction with projections of World Cup matches.
Summer Cinema in Cádiz
What better way to enjoy a Saturday than watch a film on La Victoria Beach in Cádiz. You can watch the best cinema for free while you enjoy the sound and smell of the sea. From 10.00 p.m., you can enjoy a wide-ranging programme that includes the following films:
- 4th August – The Magnificent 7.
- 18th August – Perfect Strangers.
- 25th August – Wonder Woman.
- 1st September – Zip and Zap.
Don’t miss these films, since they are ideal for a different kind of film night and represent added value to your holiday leisure offerings.
Summer Cinema in Algeciras, Cádiz
There is nothing better than enjoying outdoor cinema on the beaches of Algeciras. De Getares y Rinconcillo Beach will host showings of films like Boss Baby, Ballerina, Despicable Me 3, Sing, Storks, Monster Truck and Zootopia. The ideal way to enjoy an evening with friends after dining on the delicious dishes offered by the refreshments stalls and restaurants of the Costa de la Luz.
Summer Cinema in the Plaza de Toros de Estepona
Sand, this time not beach sand, but bull ring sand will play a key role in Estepona’s summer cinema. A unique ambience where you can watch your favourite films on holiday. There is nothing more traditional in Spain that a bull ring and it is here that you’ll be able to chat to your family and friends about a film lover’s day in an unusual setting. August and September are filled with new releases, such as Jurassic World 2: Fallen Kingdom. Choose your favourite and get ready for an unforgettable night.
The films are shown at 22.30 p.m. and cost six euros, and there will be also be a late night showing at weekends. It will also be possible to have dinner.
A summer cinema at Puerto de Santa María, Cádiz
The Puerto de Santa María Summer Cinema has a very interesting film offering that, like each year, can be enjoyed from the courtyard of the San Agustín building.
At this summer cinema, films like Tom of Finland, The Young Karl Max, The Florida Project, The Killing of a Sacred Deer, Lover For a Day, Alma Mater and Faces Places, a documentary on a photographic journey through several French villages that won the Palme d’Or in Cannes, can be enjoyed.
If you want to discover the best Andalusian summer cinemas, make sure you stay at the best hotels. The most effective option is certainly Fuerte Hoteles. The chain has branches where you can enjoy the best of each area throughout Andalusia, in addition to its services. It boasts over 60 years of experience and gives you the time to discover the essence and heritage of the area. Marbella, Conil, Grazalema, El Rompido and Torrox are some areas where you can find great accommodation near these cinemas.