The most elegant street markets in the Costa del Sol
Who has not felt like going to a street market at some time? The Costa del Sol street markets are increasingly fashionable, since they have second hand and emerging designer clothing or even unique decorative objects, as well as jewellery and items for men, children or even your pet. And all this comes with live music, workshops or even gastronomic zones. So, instead of a day of shopping, this activity becomes an unmissable date for the whole family. An example of this are the Marbella street markets which are no longer a traditional Christmas shopping destination, instead becoming a social appointment that is hard to pass by.
For all these reasons, we want to take you around the most outstanding ones.
NUEVA ANDALUCÍA STREET MARKET
One of Marbella’s most famous and popular street markets is Nueva Andalucía, which is located very near the famous and exclusive Puerto Banús. This street market is held every Saturday from 8.00 a.m. to 3.00 p.m. and you will find everything amidst its streets, from the best fashion accessories to antiques and rugs, as well as stylish accessories and paintings.
MARBELLA STREET MARKET
If when you are passing through Marbella you hear someone talking about the “baratillo” or flea market, don’t be surprised, since this is the market that is held every Monday from 9.00 a.m. to 2.00 p.m. at Las Albarizas (the fair enclosure). At this “baratillo” you will have the chance to buy items ranging from clothing and footwear to bags, jewellery and cosmetics, in addition to fruit and vegetables.
PUERTO BANÚS ARTS AND CRAFTS MARKET
The Puerto Banús Arts and Crafts Market is held each summer at Plaza Antonio Banderas in Puerto Banús. Here you will find an exquisite selection of artisans with an extensive offering of artisanal items from around the world to showcase and offer culture and tradition to visitors.
Before we leave Marbella, we must talk about its organic street market. It is held on the third Saturday of each month and is located at La Campana. It is one of the most famous street markets in Malaga province when it comes to organic products. If offers products that are exclusively from Malaga province, always organic and sold at a fair price.
LOS BAÑOS DEL CARMEN
At first this market was only offered fashion items and jewellery, but today it offers décor, food, photographs and utensils. The spirit of this market is to offer the public things that are not usually seen in these places. But also offer sellers the possibility to display and sell their products at a time and place that’s different from the usual ones.
What makes this place so special is the fact that each month it collaborates with several NGOs, especially with the Angels of the Night, which has its own stand.
EL PATIO, EL MERCADILLO DE LA MILLA DE ORO
Necklaces, bracelets, earrings, bags … hanging from some of the 18 stands from another major market of the so-called ‘city of the sleepless song’, El Patio. This jumble sale is already a classic of the most exclusive sales at the Milla de Oro. In this charming and white enclave, where you can enjoy having tapas in the shade, the shopping is done with the rhythm of the music from a DJ.
There are many reasons to go around the market because the money raised goes to Escariolo Cesare’s NGO, a basketball player, to help families with children undergoing cancer treatment.
LA VIRGINIA, THE SOCIAL EVENT OF MARBELLE
It is one of the most anticipated events on the calendar for those who love traditional products. But we can only enjoy it twice a year: in spring and at Christmas. Neither the people who walk through this particular market, located along the winding streets of the urbanization of La Virginia, nor the prices of products, have much to do with products offered in another market.
Walking round the streets of La Virginia is like being in an ancient village with its cobbled streets, balconies full of flowers, the small chapel … and there are many people who do not know of this wonderful corner, so life there is very peaceful.
La Virginia is filled with stalls with homemade food, music, hats, accessories, decoration and fashion, among others.
RASTRO CULTURAL DE LA TÉRMICA
In times when vintage makes more sense than ever and looking to the past is recurrent, collectibles gain a lot of value. Therefore, La Térmica launched this cultural flea market where you can get unique items, including limited editions, b-sides, irreplaceable covers, forgotten photographs, vinyl records and imported cassettes, comics and other objects, etc…
La Térmica Market was born with a clear leitmotiv: “Buy, sell, swap” in order to add new collectors and new fans to all disciplines related to culture.
MUELLE UNO MARKET
On the market of The Souk of the Wharf it is possible to find crafts, antiquities, mode and other curiosities and offers of new creators. It is celebrated on the first three Sundays of every month and the schedule is from 11 to 18:00 hours. In addition it has an easy access and has parking. Cone additional element this place offers a wide variety of shops and restaurants.
The Market of Fuengirola is possibly the market par excellence of Costa del Sol, an attractive mix of used objects of all kinds, all value at negotiable prices, that started more than twenty years ago out of the initiative of some foreign residents with love for flea markets, marchés aux puces and mercats dels encants: markets across Europe.
The Market of Fuengirola is still held every Saturday since it started -it has grown to 400 stalls- and what began as a friendly model for personal entertainment is today a possibility to add revenue for seller during unstable times.
Nerja Sunday Flea Market
Nerja is home to a market that is held every Sunday by the Los Leones NGO. This street market is located in the same enclosure as the Tuesday street market (on c/ Mirto) and comprises some 120 stalls where you will find all kinds of products (although no food). If at this flea market you do not find the book you have been looking for for ages or that toy that reminds you of your childhood, it is because it does not exist.
Torrox Costa Street Market
Let move to Torrox Costa now, whose street market is held every Monday (except public holidays) from 9.00 a.m. to 2.00 p.m. It is located between Avd Esperanto and Avd Mediterráneo. It is a general market and has some 130 stalls selling items ranging from fruit and vegetables to decoration and arts and crafts, as well as flowers and plants, etc.
Costa del Sol Street Markets – one every day of the week
As you can see in Costa del Sol we have markets for everyone, in every municipality and every day of week:
- Monday: Market of Marbella at Marbella Fairgrounds (Google Maps). It approximately has 365 stends where you will find everything from fresh fruit and vegetables to clothes and shoes.
- Tuesday: Fuengirola street market in Fuengirola Fairground (Google Maps). This is considered as one of the best and biggest markets in Andalusia, since it has more than 470 stands. There you will find any kind of thing you are looking for.
- Wednesday: Mercadillo de La Cala de Mijas in La Cala Fairground (Google Maps). It is also considered one of the best in Costa del Sol since the prices are quite reasonable and has about 114 stands. Market La Paloma at the fairgrounds of La Paloma in Benalmádena (Google Maps). There are all kinds of second-hand goods and it is a fairly international market.
- Thursday: Mercadillo de Torremolinos at Torremolinos Fairground (Google Maps). It has about 230 stands and it also sells everything from groceries to souvenirs and clothing.
- Friday: Market La Paloma at the fairgrounds of La Paloma in Benalmádena (Google Maps). It has about 150 stands with all kinds of items.
- Saturday: Market of Las Lagunas in Camino Campanales (Google Maps). Las Lagunas despite belonging to Mijas Costa, is not far away from Fuengirola. It is basically a market specialized in fruits and vegetables, but where you can find textiles and other products such as supplements. It has around 100 stands. Mercadillo de La Cala de Mijas in La Cala Fairground. It is the same market that also operates on Wednesday in the same place. Puerto Banus Flea market is located near the bullring (Google Maps). There you will find souvenirs, fresh fruit and vegetables, spices, clothing, shoes, crafts, jewellery and more. There are many who say that this is a market of great quality.
- Sunday: Market at the Hipódromo Costa del Sol in Mijas Costa (Google Maps). This is a second-hand goods market, and its dimensions are also much smaller compared to Saturday markets at Fuengirola.
WHERE TO STAY
Fuerte Hoteles is always the best accommodation option in Andalucia, enabling you to get to know its cities and look for the best shops or street markets. The chain has establishments where you can enjoy the best of each part of the region. One example of this is Fuerte Marbella which offers you all kinds of amenities and comforts in the heart of this very city. Environmentally friendly accommodation that offers you all manner of amenities. Also, if you decide to get to know the eastern area better, you can do so by moving to the Olée Holiday Rentals Apartmentsbetween Torrox and Nerja, traditional Andalusian villages with the best climate in the whole of Europe.