7 ‘Superfoods’ you should incorporate into your diet
The diversity of food with many beneficial properties for the body goes beyond what we imagined. Therefore nowadays, due to the quality of our foods – which are not as nutritious as they were years ago -, we live without the amount of essential nutrients needed for optimal health. Therefore, it is not a bad idea to introduce a superfood into your diet. It is not a solution for all diseases, but is a perfect food supplement within a well balanced diet. Check them out.
The benefits of chocolate are more abundant than its “inconveniences”. Chocolate has a delicious sweet taste, but you must know that it is not necessary to feel guilty just by having some ounces a week. Here you will find out the best way to eat chocolate.
A growing number of studies show that chocolate, especially dark chocolate is rich in antioxidants, and has health benefits that are within the recommended food group in your diet.
A key reason to confirm that chocolate has many health benefits is that it is rich in flavonoids, which are natural substances found in plants that have a high antioxidant effect. Studies show that the darker the chocolate is, the greater the benefits it will offer. Choose chocolate containing at least 65% cocoa.
Not only dark chocolate has a higher concentration of antioxidants than milk chocolate, but it also contains less sugar and less unhealthy fat. However, the presence of antioxidants in dark chocolate does not allow you to enjoy every moment because it is also high in fat and calories.
Ideally take a maximum of 1 or 2 ounces a day. If you do so, you will obtain these 9 benefits from chocolate:
- Fights free radicals.
- Prevents heart disease.
- Reduces the risk of stroke.
- Increases good cholesterol.
- Lowers blood pressure.
- Improves vision.
- Reinforces the mood.
- Prevents cancer.
- It helps you live longer.
Ideas for consumption
A good idea to consume this product may be eating churros with chocolate for breakfast from Casa Aranda, perhaps the best known and most churreria in Malaga, probably due to its superb location or more than 75 years full of history. People from all over the world walk by the shop daily, with the clear intention to try these delicacies from this narrow street shop, which makes it a truly unique and must-see site.
Oranges are great on their own or in salads, fruit cocktails (watch out for fruit mixing by the way), or even in a delicious, healthy orange ice cream. Not to mention orange juice. Among the benefits and properties of the most important oranges, we find that they:
- Prevent cancer: According to scientists, regular consumption of oranges can help fight cancer, such as lung cancer, mouth cancer, breast cancer and skin cancer. Oranges have a compound called D-limonene inside them, which is also found in other citrus fruits. This component plays an important role in preventing the types of cancers mentioned above.
- Blood pressure: Oranges play a crucial role in reducing blood pressure. Oranges have hesperidin, a compound that studies have shown to play an important role when combined with magnesium to lower blood pressure in a person.
- Low levels of “bad” cholesterol: Oranges can help lower bad cholesterol levels in humans. The same hesperidin found in oranges reducing the level of high blood pressure, is the same property that helps us to lower levels of bad cholesterol in the body. By doing this, hesperidin works in conjunction with another very important compound called pectin. According to health experts, pectin prevents the body from absorbing large amount of fats that contribute to dangerous levels of cholesterol.
- Arthritis: Oranges are also known to help relieve arthritis pain and inflammation. Oranges have anti-inflammatory properties and that is why they can perform this task effectively. Drinking an orange juice daily can help us to fight it effectively.
- Immune system: Another health benefit of oranges, is the fact that it can significantly stimulate and strengthen the immune system. Oranges contain very high levels of vitamin C, which are fortifying the immune system.
- Constipation: Do you have a problem with constipation? If the answer is yes, then we should consume oranges more often than normal, it helps us to very effectively overcome this problem. The reason is that the orange is high in fibre, which helps us promote the expulsion of faeces.
- Heart: Last but not least, another of the benefits for our health that oranges offer is the immense support they give to our cardiovascular system. Experts say that folic acid and herperidin found in oranges helps maintain our heart healthy.
Ideas for consumption
If you want to know, see and taste the best dishes with this product we recommend that you attend the Orange Festival of Coín, which after more than a decade and a half continues vindicating the quality of oranges from Valle del Azahar. During May, anyone going to San Agustin Park will be abe to taste this, enjoying an orange juice or a Malaga salad, or puddings made with this citrus as happens every year, there is also a bakery contest using the fruit. However, the signature dish is the “hervia” soup, a dish of humble origin that is accompanied with oranges and which is made with other garden products such as Guadalhorce.
It may be that you are not a big consumer of vegetables and you still haven’t included broccoli in your daily diet, but even if you do not like its taste and texture very much, it is one of the healthiest foods out there. If you look closely at each and every one of its components, and pay attention to the great benefits it brings to our health, it is almost certain that you ‘ll encourage its inclusion not only in your diet but also on the entire family’s.
- Helps the nervous system: Broccoli is very good to keep our nervous system in optimal condition due to its large amounts of potassium. It also contributes to the smooth functioning of the brain, and it is very good for muscle growth.
- Prevents cancer: Broccoli contains significant amounts of vitamin A, C, E, zinc, potassium and amino acids; these components are very useful for preventing breast, uterus, bowel and kidneys cancer.
- Cardiovascular diseases: Due to the amount of fiber that broccoli contains, it is ideal for preventing cardiovascular disease. Its components help eliminate bad cholesterol, protecting the heart. In addition to containing potassium it also contains calcium and magnesium, which helps control blood pressure.
- A great antioxidant: Broccoli contains vitamins A, B, K and E, plus omega-3, among other important antioxidant nutrients that help maintain a clean, soft, radiant, and therefore beautiful young skin.
- It is a detoxifier: Broccoli is known as a great detoxifier to help eliminate toxins such as uric acid and free radicals among others. If you want to have a clean and toxin-free body, it is best that you start consuming broccoli.
- Good for bones: Because of its high content of calcium and vitamin K, it is a very useful tool for bone health and it helps prevent many of the diseases that attack them, such as osteoporosis.
Besides broccoli helps strengthen the immune system, it is also very good for vision, as it prevents macular degeneration and cataracts. It is also of great importance for the correct functioning of the digestive system. as it provides a large amount of fibre. It is also very useful for the skin, helping to regenerate when it has been damaged or abused by the sun.
Ideas for consumption
The best way to prepare broccoli to maintain most of its nutrients is to steam it, but for those who do not this method very tasty, we give you other options: once cooked, you can dress it with nuts, mustard sauce and homemade honey (4 parts oil, 1 mustard, 1 honey and vinegar 1), or stir fry it with garlic and paprika to make a salad with boiled potatoes, boiled egg, and tuna, topped with cheese, etc.
It may also be included in side dishes like skewered, together with other vegetables with prawns and monkfish, or added to pasta in vegetable lasagne and pizzas.
4. Extra virgin olive oil
Extra virgin olive oil is a product widely used in gastronomy for its mild flavour and its many healthy properties. This product has been a source of research for many years and it is currently attributed many benefits, both for health and for beauty.
This type of oil contains large amounts of monounsaturated fats and oleic acid, which have been linked to a reduced risk of coronary heart disease. It also contains antioxidants and other anti-inflammatory nutrients that could reduce levels of bad cholesterol, fight free radicals and prevent premature ageing.
- Helps you lose weight: Extra virgin olive oil might be helpful for people who want to lose weight. This is because it provides satiety and contains healthy fats that could stimulate weight loss. In this case it is recommended to consume it in moderation, as it can have a laxative effect on the body.
- Pain relief: Due to its amount of oleocanthal, olive oil has an anti-inflammatory effect that may help reduce pain associated with joints and muscles. Several studies have concluded that people who regularly consume olive oil have fewer illnesses than those who do not consume it.
- It could prevent mental deterioration: For its high content of monounsaturated healthy fats, olive oil slows mental decline, which is linked to mental illnesses such as Alzheimer’s.
- An ally against diabetes: In a study published in the journal Diabetes Care revealed that any Mediterranean diet including olive oil can reduce cases of type II diabetes by up to 50%. This is because olive oil contains healthy fats that could help regulate levels of sugar in blood and the production of insulin.
- Strengthens the immune system: The immune system is very important for your health, because it is responsible for acting against viruses, bacteria and other microorganisms that can cause common and chronic diseases. Olive oil is rich in antioxidants and other essential nutrients that can help strengthen the immune system and provide protection against disease.
- Lowers blood pressure. Only three daily spoonfuls of olive oil may help lower high blood pressure levels. According to several studies, healthy fats in olive oil could help reduce systolic and diastolic blood pressure.
- Reduces frizz hair: Healthy fats and olive oil nutrients can also be used for hair beauty. In this case you can use extra virgin olive oil to reduce frizz and get that hairstyle you are looking for. Forget about gels and other chemicals that harm the hair; olive oil is a healthy choice that will help to eliminate frizz, regrow hair and get a unique glow.
- Moisturizes the skin naturally: One of the best natural skin moisturiser is olive oil. Although there are many moisturising creams on the market to use every day, olive oil is an excellent alternative that allows you to deeply moisturise and soften the skin, preventing signs of premature ageing and protecting it from the damage caused by the sun.
Ideas for consumption
Olive oil can be used as seasoning in salads, purées, pasta or all those preparations that your imagination allows you to make, but we can not forget that there is a special way to consume it in Malaga: olive oil is a product that can stand temperatures of around 180 °, therefore it is ideal for frying. And if you want to enjoy some fried food that will ‘take your breath away’, you cannot miss The Inkwell, one of the most original restaurants of Malaga. To the tune of its famous “auction”, the dishes fly through the roofs of the picnic area accompanied by a large noise that are part of this concept and a way of seeing the cuisine of its owner.
We all know that grapes are an excellent food for our body, but then there is the other side of grapes, which is raisins, which many people despise and do not consume. Raisins, as the name suggests, are passed grapes: dry and dehydrated, because they are simply left to dry until the fruit is sweet and dark in colour. Many people associate them with nuts, but in essence they are still a fruit and keep some of the benefits they provide. It is important to know the benefits they have for our body, which are many.
- Great source of energy because they contain high doses of carbohydrates. For this reason its consumption is highly recommended in athletes and people who do intense physical activity.
- Being dry, the nutritional concentrate is higher because the grapes have lost water and the sugars that are responsible for the characteristic flavour of raisins are left, providing high energy content.
- High in potassium, needed to maintain a perfect functioning of the body because it helps to eliminate fluid from it, it is a good diuretic, and will keep our tendons and joints at bay, as it prevents the onset of cramps.
- Fibre is part of raisins, and it is necessary to maintain a perfect intestinal transit, while helping to eliminate toxins and waste substances from the body.
- Improves blood circulation and prevent clots that can cause us some other mishap.
- Prevents the appearance of plaques on the walls of the heart that slowly undermine its operation.
- Raisins, like grapes, are good sources of antioxidants. This is due to the high content of bioflavonoids that we will find them, serving as cellular protection, preventing them from being affected by the attack of free radicals, and helping prolong their youth.
Ideas for consumption
El Borge, a raisins producing town par excellence, celebrates the “Raising Day” every year. That day, among other activities, demonstrations of the processing of raisins as well as their transport in baskets over the head of gatherers are made.
This town promotes this feast in honour of the raisin with the designation of origin Malaga. This day brings together more than 10,000 people who, besides giving away bags of raisins, also offers muscat wine and other typical food of the region of Axarquia, all enlivened with verdiales and rocieros choirs. During the day there are various activities showing the different processes related to the raisin, from the harvesting of the grapes, transportation, laying and drying the ferrymen until the chopping of the raisins, selection, packaging and treading of the muscat grapes ( the grape-juice produced is tasted by visitors).
The health benefits of tomato include the improvement of vision, good intestinal health, lower blood pressure, control of diabetes and improvement of skin problems and urinary tract infections.
The tomato is considered both a fruit and a vegetable, and it is an integral part of the kitchen throughout the world, especially in the Mediterranean region. Daily consumption of tomato provides a big boost to health as well as improving the taste of food in the kitchen. Tomato provides a large number of antioxidants, which have been proven effective to combat the various forms of cancer. In addition to all this, it is a rich source of vitamins and minerals and has a protective effect against cardiovascular disease. It also improves eye health and prevents hypertension and urinary tract infections.
The health benefits of tomatoes have been known to mankind for centuries. Some of its benefits are:
- Abundant source of antioxidants: the tomato contains a lot of lycopene, a powerful antioxidant against problems of cancer causing free radicals. This benefit can be obtained even from heat processed tomato products, including ketchup.
- It lowers cholesterol and protects the heart: Lycopene in tomatoes prevents oxidation of serum lipids, thus exerting a protective effect against cardiovascular disease. Regular consumption of tomatoes has been shown to decrease LDL cholesterol levels and triglycerides in blood. These lipids are the main culprits of cardiovascular disease, leading to the deposition of fat in blood vessels.
- Source of vitamins and minerals: A tomato can provide about 40% of the daily requirement of vitamin C. Vitamin C is a natural antioxidant that acts against cancer – caused by free radicals. It also contains abundant vitamin A, potassium, and iron. Potassium plays a vital role in maintaining nerve health and iron is essential for maintaining healthy blood. Vitamin K is abundant in tomatoes. It is essential in blood clotting and controls bleeding.
- Counteracts the effect of tabacco: The two main components of tomatoes, coumaric acid and chlorogenic acid, are essential in the fight against nitrosamines that occur in the body by smoking and which are the main carcinogens agents in cigarette smoke.
- Improves vision. Vitamin A, found in tomatoes, helps improve vision, preventing night blindness and macular degeneration.
- Maintains healthy bowel processes: Tomato keeps the digestive system healthy and helps against constipation and diarrhoea. It also prevents jaundice and effectively removes toxins from the body.
- Reduces hypertension: Daily consumption of tomatoes reduces the risk of developing hypertension.
- Alleviates diabetes: A study carried out by the Journal of the Medical Association of the United States shows that daily tomato consumption reduces oxidative stress in type 2 diabetes.
- Healthier skin: Tomato helps maintain healthy teeth, bones, hair and skin. Topical application of tomato juice is used to cure burns. Daily consumption of tomato protects the skin against UV rays. Tomato is essential in the production of anti-age products.
- Prevents urinary tract infections: tomato intake also reduces the incidence of urinary tract infections and bladder cancer.
- Prevents gallstones: Regular consumption of tomato also helps dissolve gallstones.
- The antioxidant properties of tomato and its health benefits can also be used from processed foods like tomato sauce and purée. Daily consumption of tomato meets the daily requirements of vitamins and minerals and has a protective effect on the body.
Ideas for consumption
The ideal way to eat the tomato is as a refreshing gazpacho or a tasty salmorejo. These Andalusian cold soups are the best drink you can have when its hot and you wish to have something healthy and full of nutrients. So you cannot miss these two Andalusian drinks full of history. We recommend you try them and enjoy their taste.
7. Blue Fish
The fish from the blue group are or should be a fundamental part of our diet, thanks to its many beneficial properties for health, despite containing a higher amount of fat compared to white fish. These fats provide essential properties for our benefit,
they are healthy fats. We show you all the nutrients this type of fish contains, which differs from others by its V – shaped tail, and the benefits each of them provides to our body.
Fish should be part of the diet of every human being: it can be cooked in a thousand different ways, it provides us with many properties and better proteins than those found in pork, poultry or red meat. Among them are those of the blue group , which are distinguished from others by having a slightly higher amount of fat and V – shaped tail, but this fat has numerous essential nutrients, highly beneficial for our body.
In this group we include tuna, salmon, sardines, herring, anchovies, anchovies and eel.
- One of them and perhaps the most important is the large amount of polyunsaturated fatty acids, especially Omega 3, which has many properties for our body, as well as lysine, essential for the growth of children, and tryptophan, for the formation of the blood.
- They also contain vitamins A, B, D, and E, iron, iodine and zinc, which help reduce cholesterol levels, and improve the appearance of our skin, helping to combat the problems of psoriasis and dermatitis.
- Among the minerals we can find large amounts of sodium and potassium, as well as providing us with a great source of phosphorus when eaten fried.
- They are also a great source of calcium, so they are particularly suitable for cases of osteoporosis.
- Protects our heart, improving and preventing diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis.
- It is also an easily digestible food, relatively low in calories.
- Lastly, statistics say that people who eat fish regularly have longer life expectancies than those who obtain proteins from meat.
Ideas for consumption
Fresh sardines, a pinch of salt and the right cooking temperature. Malaga has that flavor. Beach bars, outdoor restaurants and restaurants next to the seaside are the best spots to find one of the most traditional Andalusian food: espetos. This fish recipe is famous around the world and no one wants to leave Malaga without trying it first. These are sardines skewed in a cane branch and roasted, becoming protagonists of all the tables. Taste the flavour that this curious way of cooking bluefish has.
We hope you have understood these foods are essential in the diet of all adults and children at any age. Do not play with your health and add them to your diet.
Fuerte Hoteles is always the best option to stay in Andalucia, see its cities and taste the dishes in the best breakfasts in the area. The chain has establishments where you can enjoy the best of each area throughout the region, in addition to its services. Its more than 50 years’ of experience is the best guarantee and the starting point for each experience you want to undertake in the region.